Below are some tips on video submissions.
1) Check your audio quality! Last year, we received a number of clips with muffled sound (maybe it sounds ok if you are listening to it on headphones, but when we view submissions, we are all in a room watching the clip with the sound piped through speakers). Test to make sure your audio is intelligible by listening to the clip through speakers vs through earphones. Comedians with submission videos that are difficult to see and/or hear will receive a lower score from the judges. We’re not looking for “HBO Special” production quality – the clip can be shot on a beta cam from the 80s if you so desire, just as long as we can stream the clip easily through YouTube/Vimeo, etc and see and hear you. Speaking of jokes…
2) Get to the jokes! Where possible, try to edit out the host of the show bringing you onstage and those first few moments of saying “how’s everyone doing tonight,” etc.
3) Send us your best material! – stories, one liners, observations, funny songs, clean, dirty, etc- we just want the funny. However, If you have more than one clip to chose from and are having trouble deciding, we recommend sending the clip that tells us who you are and what you are trying to say.
4) If you are submitting to be a stand-up comedian, please submit a clip of you doing stand-up comedy in front of a live audience. Please do not submit an acting reel, vlog, webseries, public speaking event that is not stand-up, etc.
5) Unless you are a comedian who specializes in or is trying to showcase your ability with crowd work, we recommend that you shy away from clips where you are messing around with the audience more than you are doing your jokes.
Hope that helps! Good Luck!
We’re 10 days away from opening submission for the 2nd Annual Burbank Comedy Festival! We are excited to announce that we have added Tom Green (The Tom Green Show, Road Trip) to the line up of shows, in addition to Adam Carolla (Road Hard), Kel Mitchell (Good Burger) and Mary Lynn Rajskub (24). Other celeb comedians to be announced soon – we are also expanding our popular series of industry panels & classes!
We are proud to announce the first annual Burbank Comedy Festival, presented by Flappers Comedy Club & Restaurant. The Festival runs Aug 17th – Aug 23rd, 2014, and it will include an amazing lineup of headlining comics and industry professionals. Stay Tuned to this page for More Information.